14 July 2008

$Budgeting for Books$

As summer is here in full swing, I thought I would address a topic that is near and dear to my heart, rummage sales. Every year I have been blessed to find some great deals for some sweet books as I looked at things others considered not necessary to them. I have found books that are purely educational and books that are fun. I also have found some great deals in my library's book sale section for about the same price as at a rummage sale.
So, as we approach this topic, "what's in your wallet?" as the famous line goes for the Capital One credit card. Do you budget for books? Do you budget for children's books? A budget as we all know is a very valuable way to help us not spend more, but it also could be an incentive to look for the best. When it comes to books, we should always look for the best. What we put into our minds and the minds of our children will ultimately shape a part of who we are. Writers write to convey and they all write to convey something they feel is important.
So if books are so important, do you budget for them? Whenever I go to a rummage sale my eyes are particularly peels to see if there are children's books. They are like sweet honey to a bee for me and I make a "beeline" to them. :) Sadly enough, many books that people have bought or have been given are, if I can say this politely, junk. They have no content, they have no flow, they are books that were thrown together to sell with a movie or they were thrown together with some illustrations and to me, even if a book were priced high, if they have no content, they are worthless. Our frivolous spending in our society today has incurred debt, it has made us look for fast and fun, it has sadly encouraged the printing of these "junk" books that waste not only our time in reading them but our money in buying them.
I suppose my challenge would be, think about quality, think about your dollar, think about your child's destiny as you get out of your car to rummage at a sale, visit your library or shop at the store. Put your dollar where it can benefit your family.

0 comments: