27 October 2009

Just In Case You Ever Wonder - Lucado

Just in case you squeal with delight as you read the author of this book I suggest you read this review for your self first. As an early book he wrote it does not have the flow or creativity that I feel his books have now. It starts out in one area and then ends up in another totally different topic which to me was confusing to read, hence the comment about the flow of the book.

My main critic of this book is this, he says a phrase that to a child with a rough background or one struggling through a family crisis would really be shaken up thinking that God didn't think they were special. Here is the phrase:

"And since you are so special, God wanted to put you in just the right home...where you would be warm when it's cold, where you'd be safe when you're afraid, where you'd have fun and learn about heaven. So, after lots of looking for just the right family, God sent you to me. And I'm so glad He did."

At first it sounded ok to me, a little off but plausible. I read it again as I always do if something hits me funny and I quickly was shocked to think about the hurt it could bring into a child's life who had gone through a divorce or loss of parents. He states this as if when God was looking for the right family he messed up - I mean, think about how a child could take this. Lucado is not that old to be out of an age where divorce was not an issue or even death.

I am here to say, there are more comforting books to read to kids about how much God loves them than this one and maybe that is why I never heard of it, people just didn't appreciate the seclusion of love from God to children with nice happy homes. John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world..."

0 comments: